South Africa 4×4 includes a satellite phone for all our rentals. We charge no additional fee for the satellite phone unit. Over the past few months we have experienced a number of problems with our sat phones. On investigating the matter we found the following:
- Satellite phone provider could not activate recharge vouchers although they were still valid. Apparently the recharge vouchers are notorious for giving problems.
- Satellite servicing Namibia was not in position and you could not connect to the network. Was moved back into position ( not by SA 4×4 ).
- Some sat phones required a software update which we were not notified about. This we have corrected.
The past few weeks I have spend some time traveling to Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia and Kenya and back and found extremely good coverage of mobile phone networks. Based on this information ( and other trips we did the past 3 months ) we will only provide Sat Phones to clients that travel to remote areas. This will include Central Kalahari, Kgalagadi, Skeleton Coast, Kafue, Luangwa, Mozambique inland ( coast has very good mobile network ). Traveling in South Africa, Swaziland and other main areas will not include a free sat phone. Also to take into consideration is that the sat phone call and text message charges are cheaper than your mobile’s roaming charges.
We know the importance of the Sat Phones and what it means when you have an emergency. Therefore going forward we will implement the following to ensure that you have a sat phone that works :
- When requesting a quote you will have the option to take a sat phone with you or not. The sat phone unit remains free of charge.
- On deciding you want one we will automatically load 50 minutes airtime on your sat phone before your rental starts. The R 1 150 ( 50 minutes of airtime / 50 text messages ), will be added to your quote.
Please note that airtime not used will not be refunded.
|Nr||Airtime Vouchers||SA RAND||Validity|
|1||50 Minutes||R 1150||30 Days|
|2||100 Minutes||R 2 300||90 Days|
|3||250 Minutes||R 5 750||180 Days|
|4||500 Minutes||R 11 500||365 Days|
Airtime Vouchers are subject to Rand / US$ exchange rates.
Cost of Calls and SMSes
Calls are charged at US$ 1.78 per minute
SMSes are charged at US$ 0.89 per SMS
Make and Model
We use the Isatphone Pro which has you covered anywhere on the planet. The phone is light, easy to use and offers clear voice quality. This phone will operate under any conditions. -20 degrees to +50 degrees, any level of humidity. This is your ideal partner in an emergency. For full specifications please visit : www.isatphone.com/pro.html