Damaraland has to be one of the most scenic areas in Namibia, if not the world. It is a huge, untamed yet ruggedly beautiful region that offers all 4×4 travellers an adventurous challenge. It is in Damaraland where you will find wide open plains and grasslands, deep gorges and massive granite hills. Towards the west of Damaraland, the landscape changes drastically as it becomes an endless, sandy waste land which does actually sustain some small populations of elephant, giraffe, ostrich, black rhino and springbok. These animals have adapted their lifestyles to survive in the harsh and often unforgiving terrain of Damaraland. Together, Damaraland and Kaokoland form what is known as the Kaokoveld.
Damaraland is an old name and it is the apartheid name that was given to the southern area of Kaokoland as well as the area to the north of the main road that heads towards Swakopmund. Damaraland extends around 200km inland from Skeleton Coast and it continues for 600km south of Kaokoland. The name Damaraland actually came about because the Damara people used to live here but they were relocated in the 1960’s. Damaraland is a term that is still commonly used in tourism circles but it has been renamed. The southern section now forms part of the Erongo region and the north part forms part of the Kunene region.
Highlights of Damaraland include:
- The Brandberg – This is Namibias highest mountain and it is where the “White Lady” painting rests.
- Twyfelfontein – A cultural haven where you will find thousands of markings left by the bushman that used to inhabit the area.
- Spitzkoppe – this is the usual inselberg that you can find but it was also a place of great mystery to the San people.
- The Petrified Forest – This forest is millions of years old.
- The Vingerklip (finger rock) – a towering piece if limestone that resembles a finger, 35m high.
Damaraland is the perfect place for you to engage on a self-drive 4×4 trip and experience the ancient landscape in its truest beauty. Follow the herds of elephant and rhino as they search for food and water in the harsh environment of Damaraland.
South Africa 4×4 are well equipped with everything you will need on your 4×4 trip, from the vehicle to the tent and supplies. All you need to bring is yourself and your clothes, we’ve got everything else covered. Book today and take the trip of a lifetime.